Wednesday 14 April 2010

Dae's Dilemma


I’m seriously bad at blogging and promotion. Not something I should be admitting, right? But admit it I have. I think it stems from my personality of not being able to ‘push’ myself at people. I think there’s a fine line between getting on people’s nerves with promotion and getting it right. I prefer the ‘this is me’ approach, where readers get to know me over ‘hey, look! I have a book out! Go and buy it!’, although the I-have-a-book-out approach is also necessary for an author. Sigh. What to do?


I also know from past experience that to get your name noticed you’re probably better off blog-hopping. This is lethal for me. If I blog-hop, I end up writing nothing that day, and with no books to offer readers, it makes for a vicious circle, because if you don’t leave comments on blogs no one knows of your existence unless they go to your publisher’s site and see your name, and if you spend time reading blogs and leaving comments you don’t have any books to offer anyway.


Dilemma!


Maybe the best approach is to have one day where I blog-hop. One whole day of poking around and reading other people’s posts. Heaven. But then the guilt would kick in…


I could have written 3K today, but I was indulging in blogland…


I guess I need to have a weekly plan. It would go something like this:

  • Monday: Write as Natalie Dae
    Tuesday: Do housework and write as Natalie Dae
    Wednesday: Write as Other Name 1
    Thursday: Write as Other Name 2
    Friday: Write some on a YA book, which, if accepted means Other Name 4
    Saturday: BLOG HOP! Yeehaw!
    Sunday: Day off? Roughly translates to BLOG HOP! (Oh, this is too bloody fantastic!)

Now, can I stick to that? Can I switch between writing four books? No! One book might grip me for days, and to leave it like a lost child in a supermarket would be too cruel.

Ugh! Such a quandary!


Okay, guys, I’m going to try this new regime. Try. How do you do it?

2 comments:

Tess MacKall said...

The best laid plans of mice and Nat??? LOL

I've got a plan too, honey. So far it's not working. But I'm hoping with more organization and discipline--and moving into my new office---will help. Good luck with your plan and keep me updated.

Natalie Dae said...

LOL I'm going to try, although I've already messed the plan up today. I'm going to start Monday. Yes. I will...

Great news on that office. I want one.